Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Stradivarius

Stradivarius

Marek Janowski, conductor
Nikolai Lugansky, piano


Brahms: Hungarian Dances
Beethoven: Concerto No. 4 in G Major for Piano and Orchestra
Brahms: Symphony No. 4 in E minor

See the Music...

I saw the Pittsburgh Symphony perform these works tonight
And heard the music in ways that CD's just don't do right
Tonight there was drama, as Brahm's works do tell
And triumphant beauty with Beethoven as well

But to see the music is difficult to describe
Each section of the drama yet to unfold
Watching the artists, their rhythms to imbibe
Yet contrasting with style, a thing to behold

The music lay bare before me, so clear as a graph
It's movement was made clearly, I was willing to quaff
Watching each artist, a motion hand to hand
Their place in the fragment, elicit and so grand

Without the aid of the vision, my temporal glasses
I'd hear a whole composition, such symphonic classes
But what to my wandering eyes do I hear
A particular instrument, a brand new frontier

----
After the concert I read the following:

After transporting the audience with a graceful performance of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 4 in Heinz Hall under the baton of Marek Janowski, Lugansky went into the ranks of the audience to hear the rest of the program, Brahms' Symphony No. 4.

Amazing! A soloist in the audience :)

No comments: