Monday, September 8, 2008

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Rainbow Ocean by Cary Bohl
I often hear similarities in music. This morning on WQED 89.3 I heard a performance of Carl Maria von Weber: Freischütz: Overture J 277, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra / Mariss Jansons.

The first two notes immediately reminded me of the song "Over the Rainbow" perhaps because the first two notes follow an octave jump (I may be wrong, but that's what I thought I heard).

Although I've often thought about this octave jump, for instance in the song "I want to hold your hand" by the Beatles, I recently read about it in a blog posting by Andrew Druckenbrod titled 'Octave Jump'

Here is a beautiful new version of Over the Rainbow:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztepu9bIMBE

Over the Rainbow - Linda Eder Sings Judy Garland's Songbook

No comments: