Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Preview: Hilary Hahn returns to Heinz Hall

Heinz Hall
Friday, May 07, 2010 at 08:00 PM
Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 08:00 PM
Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 02:30 PM
Manfred Honeck, conductor
Hilary Hahn, violin
Sibelius: Violin Concerto
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5
More DetailsBuy


I heard Hilary Hahn first at Heinz Hall with the PSO in the mid 90s. I couldn't remember the exact date, so I asked the friendly and helpful PSO folks who responded:

'She first performed here in May 1994 with Maazel. (we think it was for 3 performances) '

I'm pretty sure she played the Beethoven Violin Co., if I remember correctly. What I definitely do remember was how awe struck I was that a 14 year old teenager could play so well, it was simply amazing.

Fast forward to this weekend at the PSO, and now I'll be experiencing her music one more time, this time with the Sibelius Concerto, one of my favorites. This concerto is certainly as winsome as the Beethoven, yet it has a deeper, more meaningful foreboding character, not in a dark way, but with a love-sick variety of a soul who is yearning. At least that's my impression, especially the third movement. Anticipation for the fourth and final movement should bring a smile, there's tons of resolution to the tension in there.

I look forward to the performance, I hope you do too!

No comments: